- Supports all versions of PACBASE, all platforms, all databases.
- 100% fully automated (Not 99, or 99.99, but 100%!)
- Produces structured, readable and maintainable COBOL code
- 100% functional equivalence guaranteed
- Allows for multiple iterations to tune the result’s quality to the company’s specific requirements
- Proven in use – this technology has already been applied to over 100 million lines of code
- Cost and quality – the level of automation allows for aggressive budgets and planning
- Independence – as the migrated application can be easily rehosted. It only relies on de facto standard components for which replacement products are available on different platforms (CICS, IMS, DB/2, etc.)
- Flexible process – without any freeze period during which maintenance must be suspended or duplicated
- Scientifically designed testing process – an order of magnitude more efficient than the more conventional approaches
The technology has already been applied to over 100 million lines of code.
PACBASE’s technical merits are impeccable. It is an efficient and rigorous development environment that has proven its ability to master complexity and ongoing changes over the years.
Even so, using a proprietary environment to maintain mission-critical applications induces a dramatic risk, such as, when the – sole – vendor of the tool changes its focus, or decides to terminate the product altogether.
To best address this concern, Raincode’s PACBASE migration solution induces no dependency. At the end of the process, the application does not depend on any additional proprietary component or tool, be it Raincode’s or anyone else’s. It produces standard COBOL code that can be maintained using standard tools available in a vibrant marketplace.
Going to standard COBOL also opens a number of options including:
- One can tap the COBOL market for more advanced needs than maintenance alone, to care for impact analysis, cross-referencing, quality control, etc.
- COBOL consultants are far easier to find than PACBASE consultants, especially in an outsourcing context
- COBOL systems can be rehosted to any target system, even if it relies on CICS or IMS/DC, as a wealth of emulation tools are available, thereby reducing the cost of ownership dramatically
- The database can be migrated if needed, using one of the many specialized service providers in this area.